Monday, November 22, 2010

Simple Chicken and...Balls.

Today started early. Well, earlier than usual. Steveo , my fella (Mr. Sweat and Dirt), and I headed to a radiology center at 7am for my first ever ultrasound. I thought these were only for pregnant ladies, but I guess they do full abdominal scans too. So, I got my belly jellied and my little ol’ gallbladder, liver and kidneys checked out. I was too nervous to look at the screen while she was doing the exam, but Steveo told me that it was hard to really see anything anyways. Hopefully they don’t take forever with the results, I'm such a worrier.

As soon as I got home I poured myself a fiber-full bowl of cereal with fruit, since I wasn’t allowed to eat before the test. Then I headed out with my dad to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey. We went to a “turkey farm” called Gozzi’s to pick up our 10 pounder. The unique thing about this place is that they have neon colored turkeys wandering around outside. Wild, right?







After a couple more stops I was back home and ready for lunch: tuny tuna melt on my crab plate. The veggies I ate on the side were a bit bashful and decided to opt out of the pic.


Okay so, I have to confess something serious…I am a disaster in the kitchen. I’m horrible at cooking. Baking I can win at, but cooking, it just doesn’t happen. My tool collection far exceeds my kitchen appliance collection. Half the reason I made this blog is to force myself to cook more and to show how I get by with super easy, healthy recipes. Which brings us to last night’s dinner. 







Breaded Chicken with Pesto

Ingredients
4 oz raw chicken breast
1 tbsp canned pesto sauce
1/8 cup egg whites
1-2 tbsp italian bread crumbs (I used natural, gluten-free ones I found)



 
 

Directions
Set up a bowl with the egg whites next to a plate with the bread crumbs in your cooking area.
Dip your chicken breast into the egg whites and then into the bread crumbs until it is coated.
Place it on a cooking dish sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 20 minutes.
When it's done, spoon the pesto onto the chicken and put it back in the oven for about a minute.


Super simple, no brainer recipe.  I had mine on top of spinach and red pepper with brown and long grain rice and green beans on the side. Up next, raw oatmeal raisin cookies for dessert. This recipe that I found here takes basically 3 minutes to make and is so addicting.



Raw Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(these are the balls I was reffering to in the title)

Ingredients
4-6 medjool dates (remove the pits!)
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon

Makes 12 balls.



Directions
Break out your blender (or food processor) and grind up the oats first, then add the dates and blend some more. Once the mixture is dough-like add the rest and blend.

 

 Scrape it out of the blender and it should look like the delicious lump up there on the left. Divide the lump up and roll into balls and enjoy! These get my mondo sweet tooth stamp of approval.

givin' it the eye!


I'm off to make dinner, stay tuned for tips on how to winterize your car tomorrow :)

P.S!

No comments:

Post a Comment