How to slice up a pomegranate;
(Make sure to wear an apron or a crappy t-shirt when you do this!)
Get a plate, a good knife and a bowl filled with cold water. Cover your cutting space with paper towels because this will get messy!
The arils will float to the bottom of the water and the white parts of the inside will float to the top. Use a spoon to scoop out the white pieces.
Pour the contents of the bowl through a sifter..and you're done! I love the arils, I think they taste like sweet tarts.
Here's how my baking adventure went down..
Pomegranate Apple Crisp;
- 3 apples (macoun!)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter (I used Bummel & Brown)
- Good amount of cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and spray a baking pan (I used 8x8x2)
- Slice the apples into chunks and set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, oats and sugar) in a bowl and add the softened butter until everything is blended.
- Spread the apples and about half of the pomegranate arils in the baking dish and cover them with the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle the rest of the arils on top and bake for 30-35 minutes.