Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A.M Workouts.

..I live for them, how about you? I got crackin' at 7:15am and and fueled myself with some scrumptious overnight oats.

Usually I prefer regular old fashioned oats but today's bowl featured a packet of kashi maple with vanilla almond milk, agave nectar, half a banana and...almond butter. Love it.










Workout; upper body.
3 sets of each of these, unless it says otherwise:
  • Dumbell Rows- 10 @ 35lbs/arm.
  • Chest Presses with dumbbells - 12 @ 50lbs. Still working on upping these.
  • Lying Chest Flys - 10@ 30lbs.
  • Standing Shoulder Presses- 2 sets of 8 @ 50lbs, 2 sets of 8 at 40lbs.
  • Pull-ups, assisted - as may as possible @ 80lbs.
  • Dips, assisted - as many as possible @ 70lbs.
  • Upward Rows with dumbbells- 10 @ 40lbs.
  • Standing Bicep Curls - 8 @ 30 lbs.
  • Tricep Rope Pulldown - 8 @ 50lbs.
(I'm just about 5'1, if you're wondering) Some guy who I always see lifting on Tuesday mornings told me I was "working out hard as usual" ..I gladly took that as a compliment.

When I got home, magical things happened.  I happened to be out of protein powder, so I had to improvise.  I combined one of these:















with half a cup of milk, half a banana and a little more than a cup of ice in my blender.  I'm also a cinnamon freak so I shook some in too along with a teeny bit of stevia...

...and holy crap. Do you see the fluffiness in that blender?!? This was one of the most delicious shakes I have ever made.
Just a little under 20g of protein too, not bad.









Excuse me while I eat half of it before even pouring a glass! I hope you can't see me drooling in this pic ;)






















(I was stylin' in my lululemon pants today, by the way!)

I promised yesterday that I would give my top tips for winterizing your car, even though today the temp was in the mid 50s. I hate when New England teases us like that. Actually, I hate anything between September and April..ha ha.

9 Tips For Winterizing Your Car;

1 - Antifreeze! Ideally you should have your cooling system flushed. If that’s not an option, make sure you have the proper mixture of 50:50 antifreeze and water (which is best) inside your radiator. You can simply pick up a jug of antifreeze at a parts store or pick up a kit to test your vehicle’s current mixture and adjust it yourself.

2- Check your tire pressure. Tires lose about 1psi per 10 degree temperature drop because cold air contracts, so your tire pressure is likely to be low. Good tire pressure is important for better traction.  You can also have your tires filled with nitrogen and not only will you get some flashy green valve stem covers, but your tires will stay inflated longer (which will also give ya more even tread wear and better gas mileage.)

3- Replace your wiper blades, if needed, and fill up your windshield wiper fluid reservoir with wiper fluid. Plain water will freeze this time of year! It’s also important to clear the snow and ice off of your windshield before turning on your wipers…your wipers don’t have as big of biceps as you do and they can’t handle the weight!

4- Clean up your battery, or replace it. No body wants to be out jumpstarting a vehicle in a blizzard…because you know (if you have my luck) that’s when your battery will decide to croak!
A simple mix of baking soda and water (1:3) is perfect for cleaning your terminals.

5- Make sure your 4-wheel drive is working properly. These systems don’t require much maintenance, but it’s still a good idea to make sure they are working after not being used all summer. Always remember, having 4-wheel drive does not turn your vehicle into a magical ice melting, snow defeating tank. I constantly see people in SUVs flying on ice slicked roads thinking their 4wd makes them invincible. No. 4-wheel drive is only to help you get through snow, not to help you stop in icy conditions.

6- Change the oil and consider adjusting the oil’s viscosity grade. (The viscosity grade is how thick/thin the oil is.) The colder the oil is, the thicker it will be and thicker oil has a hard time being excited about lubricating your engine. Meaning, it won’t circulate as well at start-up. Same with dirty oil, which is why it’s important to change it on time. Your vehicle’s owner manual is a good place to find info about your car’s specific oil recommendations. It also really does help to let your car warm up before zipping down the road.

7. Get a tune up. If you haven’t been keeping up with your vehicle’s maintenance (we’re all guilty of this) bring it to a shop for a tune up/check up. Make sure they check the brakes, hoses, belts, spark plugs, air filter, lights, heater, defroster, etc.

8. Clear out your car/Prepare yourself.
Get all the extra crap out of your backseat and make room for stuff like: a shovel, scraper, boots, gloves, a blanket, flashlight, and emergency snacks (non-perishable, high energy stuff, like nuts). Also, your floor mats can come in very handy if you ever get desperately stuck. Just stick one under the front of the stuck tire for some extra traction. (This will most likely destroy the floor mat.)

9. Tires. Definitely consider getting snow tires. Your car’s tires are critical to how your vehicle will perform in the winter and snow tires were designed specifically for snow and nice. Here is a helpful 2010 guide for snow tires.  Also, always keep an eye on your tires’ tread wear, but check the inside as well as the outside of the tread because tread wear varies across the tire’s surface.

There ya go! I'm off to go spend some time with my fella and wait for tonight's episode of Sons of Anarchy.  I'm pretty tired after a long day of running around, but this is worth staying up for ;)

Tomrorow I'll make a Thanksgiving goodies post.

Reads:

No comments:

Post a Comment