Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sludge makes ya booty budge

Hello :)
I thought I'd share some protein packed goodies today.  Protein is crucial for building and repairing muscles while strength training and those of us who lift know that there is nothing more important in our diets.  Our muscles are made of amino acids (the good ol' building blocks of protein), so we need extra protein to keep 'em growing! First up..

Spinach & Feta Stuffed Turkey Burgers;

Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 112g Lean Ground Turkey
  • 14g/1 tblsp Feta Cheese
  • Teeny Bit of Egg White
  • Onion - chopped
  • Celery - chopped
  • Spinach - fresh or frozen
  • Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder






Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, mix all ingredients in a bowl, form into a ball and place onto a lightly greased baking pan.  Form into a "patty" shape and bake for about 20 minutes or until internal temp reaches 170.

I dipped mine into honey mustard (sounds like an odd combo, but it was delicious!)

The burger itself clocks in at right around 215 calories, .5g carb (from the cheese) and 25g protein.

If you want to make more than 1 serving, use 1lb of ground turkey and 1 whole egg :)






Cookies n' Cream Sludge;*

If you are out of the sludge loop, like I was, it's basically a mixture of protein powder, peanut butter and water..frozen.  I switched it up a bit and it turned out tasting exactly like cookies n' cream icecream. Excellent.


(SO sorry about the crappy cell phone pic/bad lighting! I'm not thrilled about it either)




Ingredients
  • 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein
  • 32g/2 tblsp of chocolate almond butter (I'm sure chocolate peanut butter would work find too)
  • Vanilla almond milk (add a little bit at a time until you get a good consistency, not too thin, not too thick)
  • 1 or tblsp of vanilla greek yogurt (I used it to thicken up the mixture a bit)
Directions
Mix ingreidents together until you get the desired consistency (mine was thick, but a little runny..I know that doesn't make sense, but you'll know what I mean when ya make it). Pop it into the freezer for an hour or so, remove, thaw and eat.

I know a lot of people like to toss in a couple spoonfuls of cream cheese to make it even thicker, I was out of cream cheese though =\ but this still came out incredible.


*Boy approved! I always taste test goodies like this on Steveo because he is the epitome of anti-"health" foods and prefers overflowing bowls of sugar-soaked sugar with sugar drizzled on top ;)


This has around 310 calories and 30g protein (without the added greek yogurt).











Bloob Shake;

Ingredients
  • 1 Scoop of Vanilla Whey Protein
  • Half of a Frozen Banana
  • 4 oz Vanilla Almond Milk
  • Handful (around 40g) Blueberries
  • 1 cup of ice
Directions
Mix in blender and enjoy :)


 191 calories and 25 grams of protein.






And an amazing snack idea...orange slices with chocolate almond butter and greek yogurt..

Oranges and chocolate together are amazing. 
...As are most things when paired with chocolate!


 That's all for now, I have a busy couple of days coming up and I'm wiped from de-icing everything after the storm we were just slammed with!
Enjoy the rest of your week :)






Dirt Talk;
  • Why do you lift? What got you into lifting?
  • What's your favorite thing/perk about lifting?
(I'll be using the answers for my next post!) :)

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the recipe for sludge? I saw a video about make it once way long ago by the guys from Scivation... I buy their whey, oh and just about every other product they make.

    Hmmm I wish I could select simple answers to those questions but I really don't have them. Lifting is my way to vent and feel better about myself. It makes me happy and I just ENJOY doing it despite how hard it is on my body. I started lifting originally with a girlfriend of mine who was a powerlifter... and then I realized I liked it and hired a trainer.

    The trainer, now my friend, was a WNBF pro bodybuilder and I realized I could use my weight lifting to bodybuild and then I just got hooked and haven't stopped :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the orange snack idea!! Looks so yummy! Oh girl we def need protein to fuel those muscles! I actually just ate a bowl of casein chocolate protein mixed with water and little bit of almond butter ; ) its my fave night time snack! Love it! Hope all is well Thanks for a great post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been intrigued from weights and muscles. Watching my mom workout I often begged and pleaded to join in on the fun "why do you want to lift weights?" She would say. And hand me 1lb.
    At 13 my parents bought p90 and that was my first experience with it and as soon as I saw muscles that I didn't even know existed I loved it!
    I continued to do it off and on. My favorite thing about lifting is that I'm stronger than my parents most of the time and seeing the expression on their faces. I also like feeling, looking strong. You also get to eat more, and I think I will do it the rest of my life, its that or get fat like the majority of America.

    ReplyDelete