Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Simple Christmas; Part One.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I hope everyone is having a festive day!  It's just my Dad and I celebrating at home today, so we've been keeping it pretty simple and relaxed. As have the felines..

They're all hopped up on catnip. Lucky little fleabags! I crawled out of bed around 9am and quickly got to making pancakes before tackling this pile:


This is my loot. You know you're nuts when your Dad buys your protein powder for Christmas. Ha! It certainly won't go to waste though.  I also got a new blender! No more 1980s time-warp blender yay! The cup on top of it is really neat, it's clear hard plastic and is insulated for frozen yum-yums on the go. 
I also got a couple of sweaters (love!), a Victoria's Secret gift card, a Frank Sinatra cd and that huge box in the first picture..was a big flat screen tv! I begged my Dad to return it though and keep the money for himself because I'm not a big tv watcher..never even had cable! He insists that I keep it though..


Dinner was very plain and simple...and disgustingly healthy. Turkey, carrots, green beans, corn bread muffin, mashed sweet taters and homemade cranberry sauce! (Recipe below) Not pictured: giant ketchup dipping pile, buttah and parm cheese for my beanies!

Simple Cranberry Sauce;

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 of orange juice
  • 1/2 cup of honey
  • 1/2 tsp of grated orange zest or 1tsp of lemon juice
Directions:
Bring cranberries, juice and honey to a boil in a saucepan, then simmer on low heat until thick, stirring continuously. Add orange zest/lemon juice.
Done! Perfect if ya like your sauce tart. ;)


 

Stephan and I exchanged our presents last night. That boy went overboard this year, he really did.

 He gave me Dropkick Murphys/Against Me tickets, a new digital camera (I so needed this!), a new mp3 player (!!!) and...well, you're not a gear head until you own snap-on tools socks.
I am damn serious about my wool socks in the winter. This is my first year not recieving tools as a present, lol, so the snap-on socks took their place just fine :)
For him I got a Ruger .22 Rifle with a scope, external magazine and some other accessories.

I think he likes it :) Now I have to go shower, get ready and head to a wedding reception! Well, after we have dessert..Apple Pie a la mode!


Footnote: Erika, why does your Christmas seem so lame and unindulgent?
After re-reading this post I felt I needed to address this after seeing how boring and grinchy my Christmas looked. Well, my mom passed away six years ago, when I was 17, and although it seems like enough time to heal, it never gets any easier. I don't have any brothers or sisters and the rest of our family has split apart a lot over the past couple of years. Therefore, it's just my Dad and I and Christmas is just like any other day for us, just with gifts, a tree and a fat bird in the oven! Reading about everyone else's festivities lets me indulge and celebrate vicariously though ;)
So make sure you really cherish and appreciate the time you have with your families this season. 
I can't even put into words how lucky I am to have the few people I do have with me to celebrate <3

No comments:

Post a Comment